Tuesday 12 January 2010

Winter Blues

Well it has been a while since my last post and a lot has happened...i think. Firstly i had the madness known as Christmas to get through, and when you are working at a supermarket madness is the only word to describe it, during this period i also had my first experience of working nightshifts which i entered with the very naive view of thinking that this would be a good idea as i would be being paid more and could train a lot, in reality i ended up feeling like a zombie for 2 and a half weeks, slept through most of Christmas day and was in bed by 10:30pm on New Years Eve having felt like i had lost the previous 2.5 weeks of my life! On the plus side i managed to set myself a personal best of hours without sleep of 31 but i would much rather have swapped that for having a life.

I did however manage to ride for an hour everyday on the turbo when i got back in from my night shifts, before collapsing in bed for 7hrs before the next shift, i really do not know how people cope doing nightshifts long term, i guess they don't ride a bike for starters.

Thankfully my last nightshift finished the day before New Years eve and i am now back on to the day shift for a few more weeks. Although the anticipation of being able to ride my bike and get some decent miles in seemed doomed to failure as i only managed 3 days of plus 4hr rides before the most recent spell of bad weather hit and the roads became unridable, including the main roads. Which led to me spending 14hrs on the turbo last week, which if i am honest has done me no good at all, as i am writting this now with a massive headcold and sore throat, which i am pretty sure has been brought about from riding hard on the turbo in my garage, which isn't much warmer than outside. To the point at which if i did more than 2hrs on there, and yes i have done and will do again if i have to, my bottles froze, not cool, i was even forced to wear long fingered gloves one day...madness.

So i am now having a few days off before hitting the training hard as it looks like the temperatures will be up by the weekend, well positive at least!

Take it easy

No comments:

Post a Comment